Our church (First EFC- Maplewood, MN) youth ministries have partnered with CastleRock Community Church and Urban Impact Ministries in the Central-City of New Orleans since 1997. This blog will highlight the activities of our 2011 team.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

In Their Own Words- Ashley

"One of the best things during this missions trip for me was getting to play with all the kids at the Melph Project for Challenge Circle. The first night we got there we were mobbed by kids asking for piggy-back rides. One girl came up to me and grabbed my hand. Her name was Tiyatta, and we mostly blew blew bubbles, played hopscotch, and jump-roped until we were out of breath. On Tuesday, Tiyatta and I were coloring rainbows and flowers with chalk. When she asked me, “Where’s God at?” I was able to share about who He is and His amazing love for her. Although we weren’t able to finish the conversation I’m sure that a seed was planted in her mind. I’m in awe of our God’s power to answer prayers because earlier in the week I had asked God to give me a opportunity to share about Him with someone New Orleans. Being around such a different environment than what I’m used to has really changed my perspective on poverty and it’s effects on people. I’ve come to realize that the poverty and destruction from Katrina in New Orleans has many faces and that every person has their own story of love, hope, despair, and restoration. God has raised an awareness not just about the hardships I New Orleans but in Minnesota also. I’ve also seen what a humongous effect the Church can have on a community just by doing what Jesus told Christians to do. I pray that I will be able to transfer this experience into a deeper passion for God and for everyone around me." - Ashley

No comments: