Our church (First EFC- Maplewood, MN) youth ministries have partnered with CastleRock Community Church and Urban Impact Ministries in the Central-City of New Orleans since 1997. This blog will highlight the activities of our 2011 team.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

In Their Own Words - Marissa


I had an absolute blast in New Orleans. It wasn't all fun and games, though.
I witnessed some pretty amazing things down there. I think one thing that really struck me about that week was the joy and hope the children there possess despite their situation. I had always known that I was supposed to have a heart for the poor, and that loving the poor was showing love for Jesus Himself. I thought I did love the poor, because I cared what happened to them and sometimes thought about them. New Orleans taught me that loving the poor is so much more than just thinking about them once in a while and sometimes remembering them in your prayers. It is actually physically getting dirty and sweaty and gross to play with their children; it is doing things that are sometimes scary, like putting yourself in an entirely unfamiliar environment in hopes of being a witness to those around you; it is doing something you may not want to do in order to serve your King. After my week in New Orleans, I can now truly say that I have a heart for the poor, and I hope to return in the near future for more inner city ministry.

No comments: