Our church (First EFC- Maplewood, MN) youth ministries have partnered with CastleRock Community Church and Urban Impact Ministries in the Central-City of New Orleans since 1997. This blog will highlight the activities of our 2011 team.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

In Their Own Words. . .Heidi Florin


I went on this trip not really thinking that it was going to challenge me. But, let’s just say your comfort zone is not a place God lets you spend a lot of time in. God really stretched and used me this week. During the afternoon we did a Day Camp where I helped out with the 8-9 years olds. It really challenged me to step up and be a leader which is not really my thing. In the evening we had Challenge Circle. I was at the housing project called Melph. It was so much fun to interact with the kids. The girls loved to do our hair. I actually got mine colored with sidewalk chalk! Ha, ha! We played four square. The Challenge Circle was a really different experience for me. A lot of the New Orleans kids wanted to quit when their team didn't win, but it was our job to get them excited to play. It was hard to really be happy all the time, but God really helped me love the kids. This trip taught me a lot and I really saw God at work in New Orleans. I am so glad I got to have this amazing experience and I will treasure it forever.

No comments: