Our church (First EFC- Maplewood, MN) youth ministries have partnered with CastleRock Community Church and Urban Impact Ministries in the Central-City of New Orleans since 1997. This blog will highlight the activities of our 2011 team.

Monday, August 4, 2008

In Their Own Words. . .Natalie Schad


New Orleans was a life changing experience. The ride down was crazy and the hotel pools were amazing because of our aerobic instructor, Alex. The best part of the drive down would have to be the 24 mile bridge and the assigned seating. After arriving in New Orleans we went though training and had dinner. The first full day we went through Challenge Circle and Day Camp training. I was on the Red team for CC training; we lost but it was still fun. By the end of the first day, I had already had a ton of fun and was looking forward to all the other days. Monday through Thursday was amazing. We started off everyday with breakfast, devotions and chapel. At 12:45 the vans left to bring kids to Day Camp. I helped with crafts and ended with either paint or glue on my face everyday. When Day Camp was over, we had a couple hours to recover and meet other teams. After dinner we climbed into our vans and went to the housing projects. The housing projects I went to was known as the Melph. At the Melph, we played four square or had our hair done. When we started the Challenge Circle I was put on the green team. All the kids were adorable. My neck was very sore from carrying kids on my shoulders but it was worth it. Friday was extra special because it was the last day. The day was full of fun as everyone was taking pictures and all the kids and teens had huge smiles. At the Melph I said goodbye. I was very sad because the kids were amazing and they loved us being there. On Saturday morning, seven of the girls got up at 4:30 to say goodbye to other groups that were there with us. After our goodbyes, half of us went back to bed while the others stayed up to clean. The ride home was fun; we played “My Cows” the whole way. We had birthday cake for Eric’s birthday. New Orleans taught me patience and showed me a whole new culture. I loved it and really want to go back.

No comments: